Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cricket Craft

Here is another repost, we are doing bugs at preschool, so this fits right into what we are doing.




I found this cute craft on the Better Homes and Garden website. My kids saw it and could not wait to make it (because it is a bug). I made some modifications to it to make it a little easier for younger kids. Do not be scared of the paint because you do not have to use it. I know paint can be messy.
You will need toilet paper roll, scissors, glue, pom-poms, paint or markers or green construction paper for the body (to make the toilet paper roll green), wiggly eyes, chenille stems, green foam sheet or construction paper and a pencil.


Have the kids paint the toilet paper roll green. OR you can have them color it with a marker OR just wrap it in green construction paper and glue it.


While the paint is drying, I get all the pieces set up to glue on.



I used foam sheets to cut out legs but construction paper will work too.




For the nose, I cut a triangle out of craft foam sheet and folded 2 of the corners and glued them together.






We assembled the face. Glue on the nose, pom-poms and wiggly eyes.






Curl the ends of the chenille stems. Then glue on the chenille stems for the antennae.



Glue on the back legs. I also made front legs by cutting out a "U" shape and gluing it to the bottom of the front of the toilet paper roll.







post signature

11 comments:

The Bouvier Bunch said...

How fun! We are trying this today!!!

McMommy said...

I like how all the "ingredients" are things I already have in the house! Thank you for a great weekend craft project...especially since it's supposed to be rainy out this holiday weekend!

Brittany said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!

Heather said...

I may have to give this craft a try when my little man. It looks like fun and he would probably enjoy it-even if it is a BUG!

Are You Serious! said...

♡ Too cute!

BookMomma said...

CUTE!!

Our library is doing a bug-themed summer reading program this year. I'm going to send the librarians this link!

Here by way of POWS...

Leigh said...

CUTE!

Jenn said...

So cute - I tink I have everything here for these little buggies.

Jen said...

Would tie in nicely with Eric Carle's The Very Quiet Cricket book!

Jen from
Creative and Curious Kids!

expressflowersmumbai said...

Make a real splash of fun at the celebrations of your loved ones in Mumbai by sending flowers and cakes. Stun your dear ones to delight by delivering the spectacular fresh flowers and fresh cakes to Mumbai. We are one of the top online florists for the delivery of flowers and cakes to Mumbai for all occasions. For details, visit www.expressflowersmumbai.com.

vicki mehaffey said...

Love the cricket craft, we are reading The Cricket in Times Square. WIll be a great craft for this book. Check out my blog. www.vickimehaffey.com.