Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cooking With My Kids



I have decided I am going to teach my kids to cook. By doing this maybe in a few years each one will be able to cook a meal a night, leaving only 3 nights for me to cook (I can dream can't I ?).
I know there are a lot of kid cookbooks out there, but I wonder how many are really written by moms. I am going to be trying out recipes and show you what my kids really do to help. I will also tell you why I think it is an easy kid recipe.
I am hoping to have yummy recipes that my kids can really help do.

Tonight Caity and I made baked spaghetti, yummy ranch cheese bread and a spinach salad.
Baked Spaghetti ingredients:
One 8 oz pack of spaghetti, 2 tablespoon butter or margarine, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 lbs of turkey sausage or ground beef, 28 oz of spaghetti sauce and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese shredded and spices you like to add to the sauce.
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9x13x2 in baking pan with non-stick spray.
2. Cook spaghetti, Caity broke up the noodles and put them in the pot to cook.
3. After the spaghetti was cooked and drained, I put the noodles in the 13x9 pan and she stirred the butter in the noodles until it was melted.







Then she sprinkled 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese in with the noodles.







I cooked the meat until it was done and drained it. She added the pasta sauce and added spices like garlic powder, pepper flakes, basil and Italian seasoning.









I spooned the meat sauce over the pasta. She added the rest of the Parmesan cheese.








And she sprinkled on the mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes covered and another 15 minutes uncovered.
Let stand for about 10 minutes and serve.

This make a lot, so I freeze half and recook for another meal.







The Ranch Cheese bread is sooooooo good and easy.
Ingredients: 1 cup Ranch dressing, 2 cups Cheddar cheese, 1 loaf French bread

Stir together cheese and dressing. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Spread cheese mixture evenly on the bread.
Broil until lightly brown.










Baked Spaghetti









Ranch Cheese Bread







This was a really good meal that Caity was proud she helped with.

post signature


10 comments:

MamaGeek said...

Well go configure. This is the VERY post EVER of yours that I can finally say I have already done.

So I can attest this recipe is 32 flavors and then some.

*Woot you. Woot me* :)

david mcmahon said...

I enjoy getting into the kitchen with the kids. They even have my habit of washing while we work - so there's never any clutter left at the end.

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Yum! It all looks so good...and the best part is - you had help!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the bread recipie! I'll try that!

Deanna said...

I love cooking with my kids too! One of goals as a mom is to raise self sufficient boys who can take care of themselves when they go to college.

Love reading your blog!

CelticMommy said...

We love all kinds of baked pastas in our home! Em (my 4 year old) has become an expert stirrer and cheese spreader.

I want to be sure that both munchkins know how to cook and bake the basics before leaving home... not just to impresss whomever they might make a meal for, but also to eat healthily. I have quite a bit of cooking and baking books FOR kids, but only two for cooking and baking WITH kids. They're lots of fun and inspirational as well. Since we bake nearly everything instead of buying it, we're already into my advanced bread book and another baking book... it's a great patience lesson for me and a fun science lesson for Em.

Thanks for your comment on my blog... it was great to now find yours. :-) Hettie a.k.a. CelticMommy

Stacia said...

Great recipie...I'll definalty try it and the bread sounds so good. My Hailey is such a 'carb-baby' so she'll probably LOVE it :-) She'll take a piece of bread over a piece of something sweet any day!

Missy said...

mmmm, this looks yummy. I may try it for tomorrow night - especially the bread, what a nice change from boring garlic bread like we normally have. :)

care-in said...

I'm gonna try this!

Pampered Mom said...

Ok, I want to come to your house when you do this one again. That looks sooooo good.