Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flip Flop Craft

Here is one of my favorite crafts to get us ready for the summer.


I was visiting Anne's blog, Teaching Two, she did an adorable Flip Flop project, and it made me think of one we did a few years ago. My kids had so much fun doing it then, I thought we would do it again.



We made Flip Flops from empty cereal boxes (or thin cardboard).



I know they are not really made for wearing, but they are cute and fun to make.


We used: Cereal box, scissors, paint, brushes, beads, chenille stem and hot glue gun (or craft glue).


I traced my kid's flip flops on the cereal box, and cut them out.




Paint and decorate the flip flops.



Allow to dry.






Poke a hole where the toe grip on the flip flop would be. Place two chenille stems through the hole and fold over on the underside.







Thread beads on to the chenille stems.






Poke 2 holes in each flip flop between the middle and back of the flip flop to thread the chenille stem through.


You may need to make some adjustments to make sure they fit. I would not cut the chenille stems until they are fitted to your child's foot.

Glue underside to hold chenille stems in place.


Cheyanne's:








Colton's:









Caity's:





























post signature

10 comments:

Busy Bee with Three said...

ADORABLE!!! I love the flip flops!! I am going to try that with my kiddos!!! Thanks Colleen

BranFlakes said...

Those are VERY cute!!

Chawksgirl4ever said...

that is soo cute! do they still have the old ones they made last time? that would be neat to compare

Kat said...

Great idea!

Anne said...

I love the beads you added. I'll have to try that next time!

Jaina said...

Those are great!

Michelle Sybert said...

sooooo cute! They would make cute party decorations as well!

I am afraid my daughter might want to wear them everywhere we go!

Kitten Muffin said...

Hello! We tried your flip flops with a load of kids and it was great fun! Thank you!

I couldn't remember where I'd seen this post, so I had to rely on a blog freind to track you down for me so I could link to you.

This craft was a big hit with my kids.

Mama King said...

Hi Jenwa, we made a version of your flip flops and linked to your site. Thanks for another great idea!!! We love your blog :)

Anonymous said...

It would be cute to use these to make a Summer wreath!