Monday, May 25, 2009

Salt Art

This was such a big hit with my kids. They had so much fun and it kept them busy for a long while. I enjoy doing this too.



And after they were done, I decorated my house with their beautiful creations. It is so pretty, and they are proud to see their art displayed.




We used: Salt (we used 5, 26 oz containers) , plastic resealable bags, food coloring, newspaper and a container to put the salt in.


Pour the salt in the bag and the food coloring. The more food coloring you add, the more vivid the color.


We used the neon colors and on the back they tell you how to mix the colors to create new colors. The kids loved that.



Shake the bag. Getting the color throughout the salt and getting the lumps out.





Allow to dry on newspaper. I only let them dry for a few minutes. We have no patiences.




We poured the colors in separate bowls.







Then we started pouring the sand with spoons in glasses and jars.

You could also use a funnel if pouring into jars and the kids are younger.









I think these turned out so beautiful.


























post signature

19 comments:

Michelle said...

I like this idea...it would be great pouring practice for Emily and she would love all the different colors!

melanie said...

Those turned out so pretty. I think I'll have to try this with Hailey- although I might just do it outside to cut down on the clean up project she is sure to create!

Miller Moments said...

I love this. So pretty!

Toni said...

very cool idea, and easy too, I would thing you could use it on pictures too like sand art but with salt.

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Very. Cool.

I have some small glass jars with little cork lids that I have never known what to do with...I think I know now.

Berry Patch said...

Thanks for sharing this idea. I've always wanted to try sand art with my boys but I didn't want to have to buy all the different colored sands. This looks MUCH easier! Thanks!

The American Homemaker said...

So fun! They turned out great!

Jaina said...

Those really are beautiful. What a neat project! I've colored salt with chalk before, but food coloring seems to work SO much better.

Preschool Playbook said...

I will definitely be keeping this one. I think my kids would love this. Thanks.

Clemencia said...

thanks so much for the recipe, this is awesome, have to give it a try ")

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

Those are super cute. I can't wait to try that!

The Magic Onions said...

Very cool... we'll be making this for sure... and admiring it for a long time to come. Could be a lovely Father's Day present too!

Denise said...

Beautiful, fun, and inexpensive! This is on our list of things to do this summer!

K, @ Heart NOW Orange Juice! said...

thats so cool! I was JUST thinking on Sun I'd love to do a colored sand project but I didn't want to spend the money on colorful sand. Salt works great! And the mixing should be fun!

karen said...

Your children's creations are beautiful! Thank you for this fun idea. The colored salt would probably remain edible, yes? Imagine what a lovely gift it could be too.

Anonymous said...

It's spelt "patience"

jennwa said...

I may not be able to spell but I have the guts to leave my name when I am being rude.
I am sorry I am not perfect and I do not pretend to be.
I am sick of gutless people leaving rude comments. Please keep them to yourself.

Macy and Lucy said...

Love this...planning on doing it with my girls this week. Just got in from the beach...Macy was asking about "sand art" when I thought of your "salt art" and was telling her about it...she was so excited!!

Catherine Hansen Peart said...

Rack off Anonymous, you are not welcome here! Seriously....

Thanks for the inspiration - I did this with my littlies the other day - you can check it out here (http://ginghamcherry.blogspot.com/2009/07/coloured-sand-jars-painted-rocks.html). I will do more colours for next time (and remember to dry them first - oops). My kids are so proud of theirs too! Love your blog!